Thursday, September 29, 2011

quick dinners

Lately, I have been all about quick dinners, especially since my first wave of midterms have passed by this week I spend most of my extra time worrying about school than food. Early morning runs, school all day, and then afternoon practices leave barely any time for extra studying and even less time for preparing dinner. This past week, my days felt extra long and was lucky enough to have some quick microwave-friendly ingredients on hand to help me prepare my meal :D

My super quick baked potato:
 -1 potato (any size)
-1 4oz pre-cooked chicken breast
-1.5 cups of any frozen veggies
-1/4 cup of shredded cheese
-1/2cup of canned or fresh diced tomatoes
-salt, to your preference

What I did:
- Poked holes all around the potato with fork. Make sure to poke enough holes to help the microwave heat go through so it can cook. Then, I popped it in the microwave in a tupperware container for 10 min.
-When done I cut the potato across the middle and put the rest of the ingredients in altogether (or separate if you like) for another 3min 30 seconds.
-Top the the ingredients on the potato and add salt. Then time to enjoy!

I liked this cause it took like 15 min to prepare and it has nutritional punch to it.
~Potatoes- another great and simple form of carbohydrates, great substitute for pasta, and low in fat
~chicken breast- lean in protein!--look for pre-coked in the frozen food sections
~frozen veggies- this is always part of my dinner meals. You can never have too many veggies! & frozen vegetables retain most of their nutrients because they are picked right when they're ripe. 
~cheese!- who doesn't love cheese? a great calcium source, just be sure to try an choose low-fat varieties.
~tomatoes- another source of fiber. I used some from a low sodium can just because I had no more fresh ones :(. They are still great to use in this recipe anyway.

Have a great Thursday everyone!
Keep fueling right,
Starla 




























No comments:

Post a Comment