As student-athletes, I'm sure we can all agree that mornings are super busy. I can just imagine the majority of us scurrying around getting our things together at home, then jetting off to practice or school, to finally realize we completely forgot to eat breakfast.UH-OH! Breakfast, as much of us may know, is the most important meal of the day.
Here are some reasons why you should kick-start your day with a meal:
-To kick start your metabolism
-You just fasted for maybe 10 or more hours, depending on when you ate dinner
- Helps you focus when you are training and doing school work
- a small snack or 1/2 of your normal breakfast can help you have more energy before morning workouts
-Allows you to balance your daily energy needs and blood sugar more effectively:
Here are some Breakfast ideas that may help curve your hunger:
1.Instant oatmeal and banana (other fruits can be used too like peaches or any type of berries)
2. Fruit parfait: layer yogurt and fresh fruit then top with dry cereal or 1/4c of granola
3.English muffin + with 1 or 2 eggs+ slice of cheese and pair with low fat yogurt or fresh fruit as a side.
4. 2 whole grain waffles with peanut butter (or my fave--yogurt) and top with fresh fruit and cinnamon
5. Breakfast taco: whole grain tortilla + 2 eggs+2 strips of turkey bacon+1/4 cup of spinach or tomatoes +1/4 cup or 1 slice of low-fat cheese. ((For less mess, try microwaving the eggs. Crack and beat eggs in microwavable dish, and cook for 2 minutes.))
6. Bagel with peanut butter or low-fat cream cheese spread + orange juice or an actual orange +1 cup of milk
7. Peanut butter and apple sandwich: spread PB on whole grain bread and thinly slice 1/2 apple to place in between bread slices. You can eat the other half of the apple too as a side! PB and Banana is also very good too.
8. Instead of cereal with milk, maybe low fat yogurt with cereal
9. Granola or power bar with yogurt and an orange as a side
10. Fruit smoothies: 1/2 cup of ice + 1/2 cup of yogurt or milk+ 1 cup of fruit. For an extra boost, maybe a scoop of protein mix or for more substance 1/2 cup of dry oats.
11. Carnation Instant Breakfast mix and a banana
There are so many ways to make a breakfast that is easy and portable to take with you for after practice or before class. It can sometimes take some planning the night before, but keep in mind that eating a nutrient packed breakfast will help you have more energy throughout your day and while you are at practice.
Start your day the smart way!