I hope everyone is in good spirits this Thursday! If you are a having a rough day, just keep in mind that we are less than 24hrs from Friday and the weekend!
I feel like this week has flown by, and it is making me wish I could go back to last Thursday. Maybe it was because I got spend the weekend in Houston and not traveling, or maybe I am wishing I could re-live the lasagna I made :-P I initially made it as a pre-race dinner and had enough leftovers to enjoy for several meals after.
Here is what you need to make the best end-of-the-week lasagna dinner:
2.5 cups of low-fat cottage cheese
1.5 cups of shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 jar of marinara pasta sauce (any kind, but I used a meat kind)
1 box of oven-ready lasagna noodles
1 bag of frozen or fresh spinach
2 tablespoons of olive or canola oil
9x13 inch pan
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Heat skillet with olive oil at medium heat, add spinach and stir around occasionally. Make sure to cook spinach all the way through for about 10 minutes. Add garlic salt to taste. Remove from heat or leave at very low heat.
3. Add pasta sauce to sauce pan at medium heat to heat through. About 5 minutes. Meanwhile, mix together the low-fat cottage cheese and shredded mozzarella.
4. After sauce is heated up it is time to start layering!
5.Add a thin layer of pasta sauce to bottom of pan.
6. Place lasagna sheets length wise across pan, over the sauce, until it is covered.
7. Add about 1/2 spinach to cover lasagna sheets.
8. Spread cheese mixture on top of spinach. Then you can pour 1/2 of pasta sauce.
9. Add another layer of lasagna sheets just like before.
10. Then place the rest of ingredients in this order one more time: spinach, cheeses, and rest of pasta sauce.
11 Before baking place foil over.
12. Bake at 350 for 45min.- 1 hour.
This dish is great as leftovers, as I said before, and is good re-heated in the microwave for 1 minutes. Also cutting out some portions the night before is a time-saver too.
Until next time,