Being that it is Thanksgiving this thursday, today I am going to give yall a whole grain stuffing with sausage recipe that you can think about making for thanksgiving dinner. Here is the recipe:
2 tsp canola oil
1 lg onion, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
3 lg ribs celery, chopped (about 2 c)
3 Tbsp thinly sliced fresh sage leaves or 1 Tbsp dried
2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
1 1/2 tsp whole fennel seeds (optional)
1 1/2 c fat-free milk "plus" (we used Over the Moon)
1/2 c reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 sliced bakery loaf 100% whole wheat bread (about 1 lb), cut into bite-size cubes (about 10 c)
8 oz fully cooked smoked turkey or chicken sausage, chopped
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat 11" x 7" baking dish with oil or cooking spray.
2. Put oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion turns golden, about 25 minutes.
3. Add celery, sage, garlic, and fennel seeds, if using, and cook 5 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and add milk, broth, bread, and sausage. Stir well, season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and put in prepared baking dish.
5. Coat top of stuffing lightly with more oil or cooking spray, cover dish with foil, and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake until top is brown and crisp, about 40 minutes.
This recipe serves 8 people. There is 243 cal per serving, 11 g protein per serving, 35 g carbohydrate per serving, 4 g fiber per serving, 7 g fat per serving, 1.5 g sat fat per serving, 619 mg sodium per serving.
I hope ya'll have a great Thanksgiving Holiday. Enjoy your families.
Until next time,